Blair Witch Project
Viral campaigns rely on word-of-mouth in order to succeed. Basically, the goal of the campaign is to induce people to pass on the marketing message to one another, creating a potentially exponential growth in the message’s visibility and impact. The ads or materials are designed to be passed easily along existing social networks in order to cover the widest swath of people possible.
What makes a viral campaign truly successful is if it has the ability to be transformed, repurposed, or distorted as they pass from hand to hand.
An effective viral marketing strategy consists of the following tactics:
- Distributing products or services for free.
- Allowing the aforementioned products or services to be transferred to others.
- Allowing effortless scaling up from small to large.
- Exploiting common motivations like desire to win or be popular to spread the message.
- Utilizing existing communication networks – Internet, phones, word-of-mouth.
- Utilizing others’ resources to spread the word.